- Look at factors such as size, location, price, majors.
- Campus visits are an essential part of your college decision.
- Adhere to application deadline dates:
- State Schools: Apply online by mid-September.
- Private Schools: Deadlines vary, but apply early by November 1st.
Early Decision, Early Action, Regular Decision
- Early Decision: A binding agreement stating that you will attend the college or university. You must then withdraw your applications from all other schools.
- Early Action: Not binding. Allows you to apply early in the fall and receive a response by mid-December.
- Regular Decision: Apply at a later date, usually by December. You will receive a response by March or April.
- Juniors should take the SAT and ACT in the spring.
- Register now!
- Archbishop McCarthy School Code: 100577 ACT/SAT test scores are to be sent to the colleges by the student. You are allowed to identify up to four schools to which you want your scores sent when you register for the test. There is a charge for additional schools.
- Complete the Transcript Request Form upon applying to colleges and universities and for scholarships.
- These forms are available in the Guidance Office.
- Give to the Registrar, Mrs. Perullas, in the Main Office.
- Transcripts are sent directly to the colleges by the registrar.
- If you need a counselor form completed or other recommendations or information sent with the transcript, request that the registrar return the transcript to your counselor.
- Complete the Recommendation Request Form, available in the Guidance Office. Most state colleges do not request them. Check your college requirements.
- Attach your resume to the request form.
- English teachers will have you write a resume in the spring and will give it to your counselor.
- Select only two teachers to write recommendations, giving them at least two weeks notice.
- Students are not allowed to view recommendations. Teachers will bring them to the Guidance Office.
- To have these recommendations sent to colleges, complete the request form that is available from Mrs. Molina.
- Essays should be a reflection of who you are.
- Some colleges have specific essay topics or requests. Always check each college’s application.
- Some colleges do not require an essay. However, it is advisable to have one ready.
- English teachers will discuss essay writing in the spring.
- Essays should be written during the summer.
Additional Scholarship information and packets are regularly updated and available in the Guidance Office in addition to those listed in the scholarship page.